Sunday, July 4, 2010

Traveling Tales

Just finished up a five day three city baseball trip, that took me to Kansas City, St. Louis, and then back to Target Field for the Rays-Twins tilt on Saturday afternoon.

Here are a few observations, fantasy-wise, and not...

Got a free T-Shirt in Kansas City as they were giving them out to the first 20,000.  Let's just say I didn't have to crash the gates at 5:00 to make sure I got one.

Beautiful stadium in Kansas City with the fountains at Kaufmann.  Beats looking at the squad on the field.

Justin Upton appears to have contracted Chris Young's contagious apathy disorder.  I've never seen two outfielders look so lethargic as they did Wednesday in St. Louis.  Upton has unreal talent, I'm just starting to wonder if he's ever going to be that elite superstar.  He'll put up numbers, but where is the leadership.  I know, he's young...

Colby Rasmus took a series of terrible at bats while I was at Busch.  He was fanning with regularity and popping up with runners on third with less than two outs...that kind of thing.

Matt Holliday is hitting it with authority to the opposite field, which is usually a great sign for hitters.

Albert Pujols is amazing in part because he makes consistently hard contact.  You know who else does the same thing?  Ricky Weeks.

I don't love him as a fantasy player, but it looks like Michael Cuddyer may be waking up a bit.  He hit some balls hard yesterday...even his outs.  Plus, third base eligibility helps a lot.

It looks like some balls can carry out of Target Field.  Four homers yesterday by the Twins and Rays.

This is sad, because I feel like I've been doing everything short of attending Upton family reunions the last few years, but BJ Upton looks lost too.  He takes horrific at bats, and is hitting in the low .220s.  I could see Desmond Jennings getting a call soon.  Wouldn't surprise me if BJ wasn't in Tampa next year.  Crawford will be gone too.

Stunning stat of the day (non trip related).  Marlon Byrd has one RBI since June 9.  Keep in mind that he hits in the middle of the lineup most days, and has delivered seven multi-hit games during that stretch.  The Cubs are just brutal.  Johnny Cueto managed to pitch five innings against them yesterday and give up seven hits and five walks without allowing a run.

Happy fourth...cheers,
TFAM

No comments: