Tuesday, January 11, 2011

As seen on TV

Well, well, well.  My wife and I welcomed a new addition to the family last week, prompting a weeklong hiatus from the blog.  Good thing it wasn't in-season.  Anyway, TFAB has arrived, and may be writing a guest spot or two in the column somewere along the way.

I did get a chance to watch some playoff action this weekend, and picked up a few things that may be helpful to us all in 2011.

Let's start in Kansas City.  You know I was chortling all through the month of December when Todd Haley's name was getting thrown around for coach of the year.  Really?  Haha.  The guy can't even coach his own team and was exposed badly by a much better prepared coach and team on Sunday.  Jamaal Charles clearly has cemented his status as one of the top 10 runners in the league despite being the second best option in the backfield for Haley, which is still going to hold down his fantasy value a bit in 2011.  I think he's a borderline first rounder, but don't forget he scored four times in the season's first 13 weeks.  One last note about the Chiefs?  Matt Cassel, overrated.  I just don't like how he plays the position.  He ducks his head whenever pressure is in his face and he's been doing it all year.

Let's turn to Green Bay, where James Starks did what Brandon Jackson et al couldn't do all year: run the football.  I think Starks is a clear threat to steal a lot of fantasy value of Ryan Grant in 2011.  I've always felt Grant got by in fantasy circles on volume, not talent.

I murdered one of many fantasy teams in 2010 by backing Shonn Greene, but I'm buying him again in 2011.  I love the Jets rushing attack, and if Greene gets to 60% instead of 40% of the team's carries, he's going to be a top 10 back in fantasy.  They should cut LT's workload a bit, right?  Greene is certainly a keeper league play and a great buy low right now.

Now, back to the first game of the weekend, and specifically, the Saints rushing game.  Obviously, Julius Jones won't be back in 2011, but what other pieces will be in play.  Reggie Bush looks terrible, Pierre Thomas isn't going to be back.  Let's see if the Saints jump on someone in the draft or free agency that looks like an impact fantasy guy.  I'm sure of two things.  One, there is plenty of fantasy points to be had in the Saints backfield, and two, the player that's going to score the majority of those points is not currently on the roster.  Going back to keeper/dynasty formats, Im selling both Thomas and Reggie right now.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and get in a golf column if TFAB allows.  I have an auction golf league draft tonight.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: