Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Farmers Insurance Open

Something about the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in La Jolla California has me thinking about the phrase "locally grown".  Just a random thought.  You want another one?  La Jolla, and the rest of the San Diego area, is the greatest place on earth, I'm convinced.

You know who else in convinced?  Tiger WoodsWoods will be making his 2011 TOUR debut this week at Torrey where he's only won the last (if you include the 2008 US Open) FIVE times he's teed it up.  You know what?  I think he makes it six in a row and seven of eight Sunday afternoon.  I've been trying to figure when I'm going to play Tiger this year in the one and done, and I think I'm playing him this week.  I get to play him on a course he owns in a week where no one else is going to take that gamble.  Sure, I won't win the cash I may if I had him win a major, but that didn't exactly work out too well for me at St. Andrews last summer now did it?  Tiger is the pick.

Others who can and should contend here include 2010 champ Ben Crane, who also top 10ed in 2009.  However, Crane has only played once this year and was less than inspiring in Hawaii.  Mickelson is here too and has multiple wins at Torrey, and although he does look very smart for nesting nearby, the trip to and fro Abu Dhabi in the last week wasn't the best decision to lead to the winner's circle this year.  Rickie Fowler was fifth here last year, but he's the sexpert pick this week, as lots are picking him and the pressure may be a little much in his first 2011 start (if you're wondering about sexpert, type it into the google search box on the right of the blog).  One more who should challenge Woods?  2009 champ Nick Watney.  I'm forecasting a breakout year for him (not that I'm alone) and that should start here where he's got two more top tens in the last four starts to go with the win.

Lots of talent in the field this week though, so it should be fun to watch.  Kim, DJ, and Justin Rose should not be discounted here.

Most Talent
Woods
Mickelson
D. Johnson
Watney
Rose

Who's Hot?
Johnny Vegas!
B. Haas
Howell III
Na
Laird

Who's Not?
Mickelson
Glover
Cink
Weir
Allenby

Course History
Woods
Mickelson
Watney
Crane
Glover

My Picks
Woods
Watney
D. Johnson
Rose
M. Jones

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: