Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fantasy Golf

Apparently I'm a Pisces now?

I've always prided myself on being a headstrong Aries, and now I've been cast, according to Pisces Wikipedia page, as someone who is "is constantly trying to adapt itself to its ever-changing feelings and to the moods and whims of others."  No!  I don't like to adapt!

Unfortunatley for me, my sign apparently didn't change early enough, as I was headstrong and non-adaptive in my fantasy golf auction the other night and I ended up with a mediocre team.  This league is the same one I dismantled a year ago with the likes of Justin Rose, Rickie Fowler and Matt Kuchar, all of whom were purchased for less than $5 out of a $100 budget.  This year, I went after a few bigger names early, and figured I'd snag a few sleepers late that would form a nice mix of talent for the squad.  The big names are fine (Westwood, Poulter, Watney -- my 2011 breakout star), but my "sleepers" turned out to be Steve Marino, Arjun Atwal, Michael Sim, and Matt Jones.  Throw in a flier on Sergio Garcia and a WGC and major only play in Edoardo Molinari, and you basically have my team.  Call me pessimistic, but I'm not sure Arjun Atwal has a Kuchar-like run in him this decade, let alone this year.  Oh well, at least I'm starting WC Liang at the Sony this week!

My other weekly league plays the one and done format where you simply choose one guy per week in each tournament and then you can never use that player again.  Your score for the week is the dollar amount your guy earned at the tournament, and cumulative score wins at the end.

We got off to a slow start in the one and done this year, missing the Tournament of Champions, but we're starting with the Sony Open this week, and I'm picking Justin Rose.  The former member of my auction squad lit up the TOC last week over the final three rounds going 15 under par over the final 54 holes to finish 12th (he shot 75 on Thursday to eliminate himself from the winner's circle).  Rose has a decent history at Waialae CC, and he's one of the top players involved this week on talent alone.  So, he's the pick.

Other top choices this week include Steve Stricker, who also plays very well here and is the highest ranked player in the field, Matt Kuchar, Ernie Els, Jason Day, and Jim Furyk, with Els and Furyk joining Stricker with the history of playing the course well.

Sleepers this week include Charles Howell III, who has five top 10s in nine starts at the Sony, and bomber Robert Garrigus, who contended last week and finished last year on a high, winning the Children's Miracle Network Classic in November.

Oh, and WC Liang.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: