Sunday, April 25, 2010

As Seen on TV

The NFL Draft delivered a bit of an interruption in the baseball coverage this week, and yes, I'm still shaking my head over the Kansas City Chiefs.  Jamaal Charles, we hardly knew ye.  It isn't that bad, I'm being overly dramatic, but it ticks me off.

Anyway, here is what I've been noticing from watching the games and peeking at some stats over the last few days.

Chase Headley is now hitting cleanup in San Diego.  He's also hitting .379 with five steals.  Scouts see breakout potential in Chase this year.

Jay Bruce is starting to percolate.  I wouldn't keep him on the bench this week.

Pudge Rodriguez is leading the majors in hitting at .434.  I'm not sure if you could get anything dealing him, but know this.  Pudge is a notoriously fast starter, and will wear down as the season goes along.

Kelly Johnson is on fire, with three homers in his last two games, and seven hits in his last four.  He will be an above average MI all year long.

I'd buy low on Jon Lester and Justin Upton right now.  Verlander too.

I haven't bee able to see Liriano pitch yet.  Actually, ironically, I was at Target Field for his home start against Boston where he threw up the zeroes, but I couldn't really see him.  I'm on it this week, and I'll let you know if his slider is back.  I may have been wrong on him for 2010.  We'll see.  Delmon, he's the same guy.  This I know for sure.  Actually, the same guy plus about five SBs.

Justin Smoak is 0-for-5, but he has drawn three walks.  That's a good sign, and it's a big reason he's in the show and Chris Davis isn't.  Smoak has the prospect pedigree, can hit for average and power, and should be in lineups for this week.

That was one dominant effort from Phil Hughes the other night.  I need to see him live too.  I like him, he just may not ever have dominant numbers, due to the division, the ballpark, and a fastball that is straight as an arrow.  Right now, ride him while he's hot.

Two guys I was down on in March and I haven't changed my opinion?  Rich Harden and Jake Peavy.  The AL and those ballparks are going to continue to crush these guys.  Peavy isn't 1.84 WHIP bad, but he's not more than your fourth for fifth starter either.  I could just cut Harden at this point.

What is wrong with Grady Sizemore?  Anyone have any inside info.?

Carlos Gomez hasn't made headlines since opening day, but he is still getting a lot of PT right now, and he's running, with six steals overall, and five since April 15.

I am starting to believe in Barry Zito, and think he can keep pitching well.  The Giants staff should be given credit (along with Zito, of course) for an amazing salvation project.

Is there anyone else you wnat to know about?  Please use the chatroll feature to ask a question.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: