Friday, April 23, 2010

Initial draft reactions

So, my initial reaction is, this has to be the all-time worst draft for dynasty league team...and yes, that team is the Demolition Ninja Bombers (again, the Gordon Korman reference).

To recap, my offseason has already been just short of a total disaster.  Big Ben turns into a frat boy, the Chiefs decide that Thomas Jones needs to reprise the Larry Johnson role, Kurt Warner (predictably) retired, and Antonio Bryant is no longer a number one receiver.

Onto the draft, where the Chiefs are due to take another back soon.  First Jones, then McCluster, who I love, but is a third down back who threatens to steal even more touches from Jamaal, who only was the best runner in the league for the last half of 2009.  What are they thinking?  McCluster in the slot?  I don't get it.

To make matters worse, a team that could have used Dexter, the Vikings, try to chop away at the value of AP by trading UP and taking Toby Gerhart.  If he steals goal line carries from AP, I'm gonna blow.

In the non-complaint department, Ryan Matthews is going to be a good fantasy back from the start, purley based on the talent and system around him.  If he's actually really good, that's even better.  Spiller to Buffalo is a bit of a buzzkill, I see a bit of a struggle for CJ, due to the lack of a supporting cast.  Dez Bryant to Dallas is good for both parties.  I can see 8-10 TDs right away.  So long Roy WilliamsMatthews and Bryant are the top two picks in rookie drafts, to me, and it isn't close in dynasty formats.

I think Gresham helps the entire Bengals passing game, especially Palmer.

I think the 49ers offense gets an upgrade too with the two OLs in the first.  Gore, Smith, Davis and Crabtree see a small boost in value.

Demaryus Thomas, the Broncos first round WR, averaged 25.1 YPC in 2009.  He's a big downfield threat.  I haven't seen him, but it's tantalizing.

Jahvid Best is going to get a lot of action in Detroit...on the football field.  I like the direction of that offense.

Hardesty (Cleveland) and Tate (Houston) appear to be going to situations that are going to be favorable as far as getting an opportunity.  I rate Hardesty higher now due to the obvious Kubiak factor.

I like Arrelious Benn, and I like that Tampa has no choice but to play him.

I wouldn't draft any rookie quarterback outside of Bradford.  Right now, off the top of my head...Bradford is in the 20-25 range for QBs in redraft leagues.

Brandon LaFell is another WR who is in a great situation in Carolina, at least as far as playing time.  Muhammad seems like he's 55-years-old.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: