Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ten Fantasy NFL Draft Storylines

I'll leave the mocks to others, as I can guarantee that I have spent exactly zero minutes doing any of my own legwork to try and figure out what the different teams will do in the draft tomorrow night.  However, I've watched a lot of these guys play, and I may know a thing or two about fantasy football.  So I've decided to post the storylines that I find most intriguing heading into the three day marathon ahead.  Am I missing anything?

1.  Ben Roethlisberger -- If he gets dealt, the fallout will be huge and will likely have an impact on the fantasy fortunes of 10 or so players.  Certainly enough to require a separate blog post.

2.  San Diego's running game -- I assume they are going to draft a back, and, as long as it isn't another Sproles type (and why would they do that?) he should be a touchdown machine.  It doesn't even really matter if they use a first, second or third rounder here, I'll have unconditional positive regard.

3.  Dez Bryant -- He is the lone elite WR in this class, and he's got a chance to be special.  He has the size and speed, he just needs a good landing spot.  New England?  Check!

4.  C.J. Spiller -- Peter King and the SI folks have him going to the Jags? That would be a blow to CJ and MJD.  Here's hoping for Seattle.

5.  Houston's running game -- Rumors swirl that the Kubiak's want another back so they can screw with all of us a little more.  Kiper has them taking Toby Gerhart, who could be a touchdown machine, as long as he doesn't fumble in spring practice!

6.  Denver's passing game -- By my count, we have Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Stokely, and Brandon Lloyd as the current WRs in Denver and they have no experienced pass catching tight end.  Whatever reciever goes to Mile High (likely in the second round), should get a chance to make plays in 2010.

7.  Jahvid Best, Joe McKnight, and Dexter McCluster -- All three of these backs are flat out burners who can do major damage in the open field.  I could see teams like Washington or Detroit, who are going to be better offenses and don't have a scatback, jumping on these guys and counting on them to make major contributions.

8.  Sam Bradford -- Looks like he'll be a Ram, and he should start right away.  I think that's good news for the entitre offense, especially Steven Jackson.

9.  Jermaine Gresham -- By all accounts he's a better fantasy bet out of the gate than Pettigrew was a year ago.  The Patriots and Bengals would be fantasy friendly landing spots for this Sooner.

10.  Danario Alexander -- I can't figure out why a guy with 113 catches, 1781 yards and 14 TDs isn't projected in the first few rounds.  Huge (6'4 and change) target who could be a red zone weapon.  Colston didn't wow anyone with speed either.  It's all about production.  He's my draft fantasy sleeper.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: