Sunday, May 16, 2010

MarKeT MadNEsS

I probably should have posted this column on Thursday and littered it with Twins in the sell high section, and Yankees in the buy low section.  After all, the evil empire is in the process of making it 13 straight over the Twins in New York...so this weekend was easy to see coming.

One more big dump trade in my dynasty league this week.  That's two teams who have waived the flag, which leaves 10 in competition for the title.  It feels a little like Survivor, as I'm sure one more will gett booted off the island this week.

Sell High

David Price, SP , Rays
I say this with a bit of sorrow, as Price is doing his best Johan impersonation in Tampa this year with an ERA close to two and a WHIP close to one.  I have him on one of my teams, and it's really hard to deal a guy when he's rolling, but Price has been fortunate thus far with all those stat geek numbers I'm not going to get into.  He is going to start giving up more runs, and if I could deal him for a top tier starter, I would.

Jamie Garcia, SP, Cardinals
If you were lucky enough to add Garcia at the right time, he has been a tremendous gift providing wins, great totals and enough K's to be very relevant.  Still, it's Jaime Garcia, and, while he was a legit prospect, he wasn't thought of as a future ace.  When the league sees him again his numbers will go up.  Turn him into something else to capitalize on the gift that keeps on giving approach.

Vernon Wells, OF, Blue Jays
If I keep saying it, he will start to go the way of his old cut and fade.  He has to!

Buy Low

Carlos Pena, 1B, Rays
A Ray starts off the buy low section as well, and now is a great time to target Pena, who has started very slow in the past.  I recall a time two years ago when he was dropped in late May.  I added him in early June and he was one of my best players for the rest of the year.  He's in a contract year too.

Carlos Quentin, OF, White Sox
If you're in need of power, throw a lowball offer to Quentin's owner.  The balls fly out of the Cell (or whatever it may be called in 2010) in the summer and Quentin has too much pop not to get hot.  I still see 25-30 bombs, and he can hit .275 from here on out.  His bad month won't hurt you if you can get him now.  Don't pay full price, but his owners HAVE to be a little impatient, don't they?

Victor Martinez, C, Red Sox
I'm not huge into catchers (unless you start two), but I have to think Victor and his .220 batting average with three homers presents a buying opportunity.  Everyone is bashing the Red Sox for their current ineptitude, but they are still a top 10 offense.  The runs will come and Victor is going to hit in the middle of that lineup.  He's a .296 career hitter, so, the hot streak is coming.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: