Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Players Championship

Nice 62 by Rory last week in Charoltte, enough (my wife tells me) to best the course record by two.  I couldn't watch, as I was out of town, but it sounded pretty impressive.  Also impressive, and noted, is that my wife watches golf without me but won't give it a second when I am around.  Women.

Anyway, she also said it's McIlroy's 21st birthday this week, but I'm thinking that since he's a Brit that there wasn't any excessive partying and that he'ss be ready to go for Sawgrass.  He's actually one of the top picks this week, as the 62 has to give him loads of confidence, and his back seems to be fine.

Of all the events Tiger plays, this one is the last I'd pick him to win.  He has done it, but just once in 12 tries, and he's top 10'd just four times here, so it isn;t his best venue.  Phil has played the course better recently, and has a 2007 win and a recent hot streak to build on.  He's the favorite.

After that, the guys with the best histroy at this famous course include Henrik Stenson, the defender and a top ten finisher in three of four starts.  If he had played better in the US this year he would be at the top of the list, but he told Faldo at the Masters that, essentially, he doesn't have his game right now.  A couple of nice overseas results recently have me reconsidering, but Henrik lies outside my top five this week.

Els, Furyk, Sergio, Westwood, and Harrington also have at least two top tens here, and all but Serge are playing well enough to win this week.  Poulter is a nice pick too.  He finished second last year and you know I've man crushed on the Pink Pantser all year.  I just wonder if his knee is ready to go.  He says it is.

Stricker and Kim have withdrawn due to injury.  Kim may opt for thumb surgery, which would cause him to miss at least one month.

Sleepers?  Fowler, always.  His game is so impressive, and he's up to four top tens on the year including two in a row.  Stephen Ames has won here before and usually plays well, and Charl Schwartzel has too much game to be ignored as well.  Finally, it was nice to see Cabrera show up last week in Charlotte.  Can he carry his momentum forward?  He's way too unpredictable.

Most Talent
Woods
Mickelson
McIlroy
Westwood
Poulter

Course History
Stenson
Garcia
Mickelson
Furyk
Ames

Who's Hot
Mickelson
McIlroy
Furyk
Els
Fowler

Who's Not
Garcia
Cink
Weir
Kaymer
Woods?

My Picks
Mickelson
McIlroy
Els
Poulter
Westwood

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: