Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lightning in a Bottle

Some of my loyal readers have been telling me they are jonesing for a football fix.  I keep saying that there will be plenty of time for fantasy football, starting in July, BUT....I'll throw the bone.

I wrote a bit around the time of the draft that whoever San Diego selects at running back will be a major fantasy contributor next year.  They have all the components you need to be a very fantasy friendly offense for a running back.  They have a great quarterback, a good passing game, an offense that scores a lot, and a system that runs the ball more often than not in short yardage.  The only thing missing to be a great rushing attack is a better offensive line.  Still, this is a team that led LaDainian Tomlinson to 12 rushing touchdowns last year and almost 900 total yards in 14 games...and Tomlinson was, by many accounts, the worst starting running back in the NFL in 2009.

Enter Ryan Mathews.  Yes, all signs point to positive for the Fresno State product, starting with the fact that the Chargers moved up 16 spots in the first round to get this guy.  They really like him.  Need more proof?  Norv Turner was quoted shortly after the draft as saying that Mathews will have 250 carries and 40 catches this season.  That's 40 more touches than LT got last year.  With his fresh legs and 220 pound frame, I'd say that translates into major fantasy upside.  If I had to guess right now, I'd say Mathews falls right in at the end of the top ten running backs in your fantasy draft.  I'd take him ahead of guys like Felix Jones, Ryan Grant, Matt Forte, Knowshon Moreno, and Ronnie Brown.

Last, but not least, let's not forget he gets two games against the Raiders!

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: