Tuesday, June 29, 2010

AT&T National

I have to offer an apology to all those who went with my Justin Rose pick last week.  You see, three times in the last eight events I've had the leader on Sunday morning as my pick in my one-and-done league and each time said golfer has imploded in impressive fashion.  Go back and look at JB Holmes in Texas, Westwood at The Players, and the final round bloodbath  that was composed by Rose on Sunday if you must.

For the second time all year, Tiger is in the field in an event that isn't a marquee Tour stop (though one could argue any event he shows at is a marquee event).  The last time Quail Hollow brought him to his knees.  What happens at the AT&T this week?

For starters, there is not going to be a more difficult tourney to handicap for the rest of the year outside of maybe Whistling Straits.  The AT&T moves to a knew venue this week at Aronimink in Pennsylvania as Congressional undergoes some work in preparation for next year's U.S. Open.  Therefore, we have no history at the course.

Did I say we had no course history?  I lied.  According to PGATOUR.com Sean O'Hair is a member at Aronimink.  Now, is that a good or a bad thing?  That could make him the sexpert pick.  I think it does, he's out...too much pressure.

Of the top players in the world, I do like Woods this week.  I think his game has gotten better since May, and he has another chance to test it on a less than extreme venue (like Pebble, for example).  Furyk is here too, and since we don't have course history, talent means more.  Still, I find Furyk to be the toughest of the top players to predict.  He is a Pennsylvania guy though, and seems to play his best at the smaller events.  He and Woods are the only ones here in the top 10 in the world.

So, who's hot?  Rose (gag reflex), Fowler, Ryan Moore, Crane, Dustin Johnson (double gag), Barnes, and Van Pelt are all playing in the AT&T.  These guys are the hottest guys in the field, all with multiple top 10s in the last weeks (Moore has one, but I like his ties).

For sleepers, I think Vijay (again...I had him last week and if not for the third round implosion, he wins that tournament) has a great chance this week.  Also, Brendon de Jonge has been a factor in the last three events with two top 12s and a spell of contention at Pebble.

Most Talent
Woods
Furyk
Fowler
Allenby
Rose

Course History
O'Hair?

Who's Hot?
Rose
Fowler
Barnes
Crane
Van Pelt 

Who's Not?
Mahan
Leonard
Toms
Watney
Yang

My Picks
Furyk
Woods
Vijay
Fowler
Moore

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: