Thursday, June 10, 2010

World Cup!

Of course, when there is a huge sporting event to be contested, I'm pretty much going to have an angle.  Enter fantasy World Cup!  It's a salary cap game where you pick a squad of 15, set a lineup, and hope your players perform.

Here's my squad.

Strikers:  Messi, Eto'o, Van Persie

Midfielders:  David Silva, Dos Santos, Schweinsteiger, Pienaar

Defenders:  Gallas, Maicon, Chiellini

Keeper:  Julio Cesar

I have Vidic on my bench as an extra defender, but the other three benchwarmers were juts filler guys because I didn't want to spend money there.  I did select German keeper Jorg Butt though.

My strategy was basically to score goals.  I tried to pick defenders that have a chance at a goal, which led to the Gallas selection on what seems to be a mediocre French side.  You can rack up points from players for their team not ceding goals too, but I went with scorers.  At first, I left Messi off the squad, then I envisioned watching him go Maradonna on this thing and being on everyone's roster but mine.  I really like Van Persie, mainly becuase the Dutch are going to score a lot of goals.  I actually like the Dutch to win this whole thing.  Call me crazy.  Pienaar plays for my beloved Everton (and the home country), so he was a bit of a sentimental selection.  David Silva has a chance to star for Spain these next few weeks.  Midfielder goals get you more points than striker goals....Schweinsteiger can score as well, and Germany is always so tough in this event.

Let's get it on.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: