Sunday, August 1, 2010

Deadline Drama

Heavy football coverage starts tomorrow.

In one of my baseball leagues, an owner made a large deal a couple months ago.  He moved Ryan Howard for Carlos Pena, Yo Gallardo, and Andrew Bailey.  The team acquiring the threespot was basically out of contention and going to be looking (at some point) to build toward the future.  I thought the deal was curious for that reason.  As much as I like Carlos and Yo, those guys (unless Gallardo had been lights out) just weren't going to help him rebuild in trades at the deadline.  I know, as an owner who is usually a buyer at the deadline, that I try and land the biggest fish possible.  If I'm sacrificing part of next year for a player(s) that will only be with me for a month and change, they better be high impact guys (and Howard > Pena).  Which made me wonder, why give up Howard and crate less leverage at the deadline?  I bet he gets nothing for Gallardo, Pena, or Bailey today, which is our league's deadline.  It was a trade made by a non-contender that would have only helped a contender.

As far as the real deadline goes, there are a few interesting tidbits.  Tyler Clippard pitched (poorly) in the seventh inning last night.  I think Storen is the guy you want in the Nats pen.  Pittsburgh isn't tipping their hand yet.  It's 50/50 between Hanrahan and Meek.

Colby Rasmus may (and should) see an uptick in PT now that Ludwick is gone.

It looks like it's Juan Gutierrez for saves in Arizona with Heilman having an outside shot.

Gordon Beckham should be in all starting lineups right now.

Dom Brown isn't much of a play for 2010, especially when Victorino returns, but he'll be a 2011 full time starter, and was the number one prospect in the minors when he was recalled.

Brett Wallace should hit right away in Houston, but isn't a high impact guy.

I love that Berkman goes to New York, but he'll see fewer at bats, and won't see an increase in fantasy value.  The deal also dings the value of Posada, who has sore knees and needs some of his ABs to come at DH.

Delmon Young is unreal.  Mea culpa!

Jeremy Hellickson will start for the Rays on Monday, then, I'm guessing, will be moved to the bullpen for the stretch run.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: