Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ranking the quarterbacks

A couple days ago, I wrote about the advantages of playing in a league where you start two quarterbacks.  In such a league, the top four on this list are all top 12-15 picks, and the top six should be gone by the end of the second round.  Of course, most of us play auction leagues anyway, so rounds mean nothing!

1.  Drew Brees -- No risk here.  High powered pass happy offense.  He's been consistent, and that's what you need in a first rounder.
2.  Aaron Rodgers -- A fantasy star waxs born last year and the weapons in the passing game are seemingly getting better.
3.  Peyton Manning -- He says he wants the team to run more.  I say he still is a lock for 30 TDs.  Almost no risk here.
4.  Tom Brady -- I once bet a friend that Brady would put up more fantasy points than Manning in 2009.  I lost, hence, Manning > Brady.
5.  Tony Romo -- Barely gets the five spot.  Dallas should have a high powered offense.  I'd love to see the TDs back over 30 (he tossed 36 in '07) to go along with his big yardage totals.
6.  Matt Schaub -- Speaking of yardage totals, guess who led the NFL in 2009?
7.  Phil Rivers -- I personally think there is a dropoff between six and seven, then seven and the next tier.  The stats say I'm wrong, as Rivers was very good in '09.  I just like Schaub better.
8.  Jay Cutler -- This is probably Favre's spot if he plays, so we'll call him 8a.  Cutler has a huge opportunity to perform this year, I say he seizes it, but would bet my mortgage.
8a.  Brett Favre -- Is this where I mention T-Jack would not be 8a?
9.  Matt Stafford -- This is a huge leap of faith.  I like the Lions in 2010.  At least for fantasy purposes.  It also says that after number seven (or 8a), the quarterbacks all become a matter of personal preference.
10.  Ben Roethlisberger -- Tough guy to rank.  Would be nine without the suspension.
11.  Eli Manning -- Good guy to draft, good guy to trade.  Always starts hot, then sell high.
12.  Matt Cassel -- I think the Chiefs are the Detroit of the midwest.  How's THAT for a compliment Kansas City?
13.  Kevin Kolb -- We know the Iggles will throw, and Kolb threw for 300 in each of his two games in 2009.
14.  Matt Ryan -- He is a very nice player, but does the offense hold him back a bit?
15.  Donovan McNabb -- I have no idea what to expect in Washington.
16.  Joe Flacco -- Why should I be so excited about a QB who threw for under 200 in half of his games again?
17.  Alex Smith -- He has weapons.
18.  Matt Leinart -- We're going with upside now.  I suppose he could be pretty good, and he also has a lot of firepower on offense even without Boldin.
19.  Carson Palmer -- Hasn't been relevant for a few years.  Not impressed with Owens or 85.  The NFL is a young man's game.
20.  Chad Henne -- I like Henne, I just don't see a lot of passing touchdowns.  Marshall makes things happen, but doesn't play the vertical game.
21.  Vince Young -- Not a fan, only here because of the rushing points.
22.  Jason Campbell -- The Raiders are actually intriguing this year.  This could be low on Campbell if the WRs step up.
23.  Mark Sanchez -- The Jets are a run first team, and Edwards will drop at least three TDs, which is a factor.
24.  David Garrard -- Yuck.
25.  Sam Bradford -- Its a dice roll, but he should at least get 16 starts, and the Rams play from behind often.
26.  Matt Moore
27.  Kyle Orton
28.  Matt Hasselbeck
29.  Josh Freeman
30.  Trent Edwards Lee Evans told me to rank Edwards 30.  Said he was better than Delhomme.
31.  Jake Delhomme -- Can't wait to see Delhomme play 500 with the conditions in Cleveland.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: