Monday, August 23, 2010

Ranking the kickers

You've likely noticed that I've delayed the fantasy kicker rankings for almost a week.  Really, I've been struggling to come up with a decent system to rank these soccer rejects.  You may think high scoring offenses produce great fantasy kickers, or domed stadiums, but the reality is that no one has come up with any formula that can resonably predict who is going to be a good fantasy kicker in a given season.  I trust expert rankings in this area as much as the Farmer's Almanac.  So, I've decided to try something new this year.  I have one criteria.  Can I trust _________ to make a kick?  If the answer is yes, they get their name on a piece of paper and get thrown into my desk drawer.  Fourteen names went into the drawer, and I will now pull them out one by one, with the order determining my rankings.

The number one kicker for 2010 will be ........ Adam Vinatieri!

1.  Adam Vinatieri
2.  Robbie Gould
3.  David Akers
4.  Mason Crosby
5.  Josh Brown
6.  John Kasay
7.  Nate Kaeding
8.  Rob Bironas
9.  Garrett Hartley
10.  Joe Nedney
11.  Steven Gostkowski
12.  Ryan Longwell
13.  Lawrence Tynes
14.  Sebass Janikowski

The Barclays preview tomorrow.  Defenses Wednesday, and overall top 50 or so by the end of the week.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: