Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ten critical questions

You know how I don't really like arbitrary numbers, so I'm just going to toss out the questions that pop into my mind as I go, if I get to ten, great, if not, the title stays the same.  Ladies and gentlemen, fantasy football season has begun.  Tomorrow, the rankings begin.  Should I start with kickers?

1.  Will LaDainian Tomlinson be the Jets goal line back?
I don't care about LT's touches between the 20s, but he is a major fantasy factor looming as a potential TD vulture.  If Greene gets goal line touches, he's top 10 overall.  If not?  He's a middle tier RB2.

2.  How will the Chiefs running back situation shake out?
Jamaal Charles only amassed 1112 total yards and eight scores in the Chiefs final eight games last season, so it figures the braintrust would bring in an aging veteran hungry for touches in Thomas Jones?  Wait, what?  Yeah, it's the Chiefs.  But, they have an easy schedule, and Jamaal could still be gold if the team uses him on 75% of the offensive snaps.  Jones is probably the goal line guy.

3.  Does Brett Favre matter?
Absolutely.  To me, there's no question that Rice, Harvin and Shiancoe have their fantasy values tied directly to the right arm of the gunslinger.  Peterson's value is probably unchanged either way.  Maybe more carries without Favre, but more effective carries with him.

4.  Now that Mike Bell is gone, will Pierre Thomas emerge?
I hope so, but I'm skeptical.  Once something works for a coach, they are likely to go back to the well.  So, while Lynell Hamilton isn't likely to see much action between the 20s, he is a good bet to score 5-10 TDs as we all watch Pierre trot to the sideline inside the five.  Reggie Bush has little impact on Thomas' value.

5.  Is Mike Martz a genius?
He might be, but he hasn't been much of an offensive coordinator lately, at least if you are judging by wins and losses.  Maybe he's good at Boggle.  Anyway, Martz goes to Chicago and fantasy owners are excited about the prospects of his pass happy attack.  Wouldn't it be funny if Jay Cutler threw for 35 TD and 28 INT?  It remains to be seen how it works, but it's hard not to like Cutler more than last year, and Johnny Knox and Aromoshodu are intriguing fanatsy options.  I bet they both outscore Hester, who never lives up to the unwarranted hype.

6.  Can Kevin Kolb play?
He has the value of Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek and to a lesser extent LeSean McCoy hanging in the balance.  I'm a Kolb guy (and not a McCoy fan), so, I like his fantasy value in a pass happy offense.  I'm just not sure if he can get it down the field like McNabb did, which may spell trouble for Jackson.

7.  Is Detroit a lurking hotbed of fantasy goodness?
I think so.  Since last year they've added an explosive back in Jahvid Best, a good number two WR in Burleson, and seen the return to full bars of Calvin Johnson.  I think Matt Stafford is a budding star, and I think this team will throw a lot.

8.  What will the Arizona offense look like?
Matt Leinart is going to win that job, but is likely to be a bit more challenged than Kurt Warner at the helm.  I think Larry Fitzgerald will suffer a bit, and I think Beanie Wells gets a boost in value as the Cards run a more traditional offense.  Remember, Ken Whisenhunt was the Steelers offensive coordinator when they ran, ran, and ran some more.

9.  Who is the number two wide receiver?
I say Calvin Johnson.  I like Detroit's offense, and all the candidates have major questions.  Has Reggie Wayne lost a step? Yes. Can Miles Austin handle being a number one?  Yes. Will Leinart hurt Fitz?  Yes.  Is Moss close to being done?  Yes.  Those are really the only candidates right now behind the clear number one, Andre Johnson.  My rankings say Andre, Calvin, Austin.

10.  Will Gary Kubiak regain the favor of TFAM?
Yeah, no, not likely.  I'd rather sit on a stick of dynamite than rely on Ben Tate, Steve Slaton, Arian Foster or whoever else he has delcared his starter by week five.

Hey, I got to ten!

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: