Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Catching the baseball fever

For those wanting the golf picks...after my match play performance, why?  Just kidding, I'll preview the Honda tomorrow, but I need to start with baseball, it is March after all, and the madness is about to begin.

I'm going to start with the catchers and the number one rule to keep in mind with the backstops is that you only pay a premium in two catcher leagues for the position.  When you start two, you have to invest, as the pickings of guys that even bring relevance is pretty thin.  However, when you play just one and the position only needs to go 12 deep, well, let's just say I'll take Jorge Posada for $1 over Miguel Montero for $8 any day of the week.

Now, if you believe Matt Weiters can start to post .300-30-100 seasons, he would be worth it, and Mauer can be very valuable too, so I guess I don't have as much of a problem at the top, just don't pay for catching mediocrity.

1.  J. Mauer -- He's a .320 lock, and 15-80-80 is good for tops at the position and leaves room for upside.
2.  B. Posey -- No soph slump, and I lean youth...always
3.  V. Martinez -- I'm a little down on the ballpark switch.
4.  B. McCann -- We are splitting hairs 2-4....
5.  M. Weiters -- ...and I'll pass on them all and take Weiters for less.  If not Weiters, I'm not spending.  After all, Weiters catches the bird before the bird catches the worm.
6.  C. Santana -- Again, youth, but I'll take Weiters.
7.  M. Napoli -- He's an OPS monster, and if he gets the ABs, he can mash in Texas.
8.  G. Soto -- Still a good value and he may come cheap.
9.  M. Montero -- And the bottom just fell out.  No more than $1 from here out unless you need two.
10.  C. Ianetta -- Grasping at his perennial upside.
11.  J. Posada -- Can he still hit 20 HR?
12.  AJ Pierzynski -- Just no BA anymore.
13.  JP Arrenciba -- A rookie with pop
14.  R. Martin -- Now a Yankee pushing Jorge to DH
15.  Y. Molina
16.  R. Doumit
17.  J. Buck
18.  K. Suzuki -- Has anyone ever won a fantasy title with Kurt Suzuki?
19.  J. Saltalamacchia -- Boston
20.  J. Jaso -- A leadoff catcher?

Don't forget about...Jesus Montero is a Yankee prospect that can mash.  He should be drafted in all keeper leagues.  He's an offensive star in the making.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: