Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Expert NCAA Bracket

Just joking.  I'm farther from an expert in this thing than anything else I write on here (though it should be noted even this guy can see that UAB DOES NOT pass the eye test).  I haven't really been competitive in the bracket since the days of Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott and Brian Oliver.  For a while I was picking the winner one year too early (Michigan State 1999 and Maryland 2001 were two of my premature calls), but I can't even do that anymore ( I picked Kansas last year).  So, why am I even publishing my picks?  I want to at least show you how great I am just in case the sun shines on this dog in March.

One thing that has become apparent to me as the quality of that talent in the NCAA has eroded do to early NBA defections is that upperclassmen win in this tournament.  It almost doesn't matter anymore how high a profile your school has, it just matters that you have experienced players in your rotation.  Kentucky couldn't win with all those Freshmen last year, and neither they or Carolina will do it this year.  Purdue would have been my easy choice all year long, but the Hummel injury squashed that.  So, which teams does that leave?  Ohio State and Notre Dame.  The Buckeyes, who start three seniors, one junior and an All-American freshman will best the Irish who may be the most unheralded great team of the year and start an amazing five seniors.

The rest of the picks...

East Region
Ohio St.
UNC
Kentucky
Syracuse

Upset Alert
Washington over UNC?

West Region
Duke
Texas
UCONN
SDSU

Upset alert
Texas over Duke

Southwest Region
Kansas
Louisville
Purdue
Notre Dame

Upset Alert
Richmond over Vandy

Southeast
PITT
Wisconsin
St. John's
Florida

Upset Alert
Utah St. over Kansas St.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: