Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ranking the third basemen

I've gotten some suugestions to change the name of the blog back to The Fantasy Answer Man.  Apparently I have some peeps who are thinking I'm writing about home improvement?  I may switch back.  I'm just looking for something with a little less ego and a little more creativity.

And before I get to baseball, Nick Watney...look out Augusta.  I think he and Matt Kuchar are the main challengers to Mickelson and Woods.

Baseball...

Third base is certainly one of those sneaky shallow positions in fantasy.  I'm not a big position scarcity guy, as you know, but as a tiebreaker, I'd take a 3B over an OF.

1. E. Longoria -- He'll be much better in 2011, no concerns at all.  Top five overall.
2. D. Wright -- Rebounded like expected.  He'll do it again.  Safe pick.
3. A. Rodriguez -- I'd way rather have one of the top two, age becoming a factor.
4. R. Zimmerman -- Most would have him in front of A-Rod. I haven't gotten on board yet.
5. A. Beltre -- Drop off starts here, though not if he hits like he did last year.
6.  P. Sandoval -- And a bigger drop off here.  I think he recaptures the Fu.
7. J. Bautista -- Does he hit 30 HR and .250?  That seems even a bit optimistic.
8. M. Young -- Gets torn apart by sabers, but still is a useful fantasy option.
9. P. Alvarez -- You know I always go with upside.
10. A. Ramirez -- There is some sleeper potential here with a bit of health.
11. M. Reynolds -- A year ago he was borderline top 5.  This seems more realistic.
12. M. Prado -- Empty average is green peppers to me.  Gross.
13. I. Stewart -- One post-hyper I'm not so high on.
14. J. Lopez -- I prefer him as a 2B, but I think there is some sleeper potential here.
15. S. Rolen -- The bottom has fallen out.
16. C. McGehee -- Whatever happened to Mat Gamel?
17. D. Valencia -- No prospect pedigree, but upside after big 2010.
18. C. Jones -- A head-to-head headache, but roto value here.
19. M. Mora -- Does he have the gig?  The last sleeper.
20. C. Headley -- Nothing more than filler.
21. P. Polanco -- We've all ridden this train.

Don't forget about...

I think Wigginton has upside with a starting gig.  There really isn't much different about the last six or seven on the list and guys like Casey Blake or Miguel TejadaTejada will qualify for SS though.  Prospects here include the incredibly powerful Mike Moustakas, though there is a bit of Brandon Wood risk there.  Lonnie Chisenhall of Cleveland is the second best 3B prospect who will likely debut in 2011.

NCAA tomorrow, shortstops on Tuesday.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: