Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ranking the shortstops

Usually, outside of catcher in a two backstop league, shortstop is the weakest position in the draft.  For me, that normally means I'm weak at short, because you know I don't overpay for the scarcity thing.  In my two leagues (In which I have three firsts and a second in the last two seasons), I've gone both ways.  In one, I've employed Hanley Ramirez for the last two seasons...the other relied mostly on Orlando Cabrera.  One player does not a team make, and I can see myself not overpaying for mediocre stats at a scarce position again this year.

1. H. Ramirez -- Though it should be noted I see his decline in fantasy value as real as he is less inclined to steal.
2. T. Tulowitzki -- If he figures out April and May he's the NL MVP and a huge fantasy factor.
3. J. Reyes -- The risk isn't worth a 40 SB reward.  He needs 60 to make it worthwhile and he isn't doing that, as much as I like him.
4. J. Rollins -- I guess I think his HR/SB total bests Jeter's BA.
5. S. Drew -- I know he is perenially disappointing, but I'm optimistic. He's 27, and that used to mean something.
6. D. Jeter -- Not seeing a huge bounceback.
7. A. Ramirez -- .270-15-15 sounds like stats I won't pay for.
8. E. Andrus -- SBs are worth more at positions where power is absent.
9. S. Castro -- BA regression candidate.  Growing pains likely, but hang on in keeper leagues for future.
10. R. Furcal -- Health keeps him here.  He's at least eight if he plays 150.
11. R. Brignac -- The bottom fell out here.  All the rest of the guys are $1 for me.  Upside rules.
12. J. Hardy -- Power potential
13. J. Bartlett -- Hoping for '09, expecting '10.
!4. Y. Escobar
15. A. Cabrera
16. C. Pennington
17. J. Uribe
18. I. Desmond
19. M. Scu-scu-Scuatro
20. A. Escobar -- No bat in Milwaukee, no bat in KC.

Shortstop really is ugly.  I could see myself drafting Brignac or Bartlett and playing musical SS if they don't work out.  Prospects including Grant Green, Dee Gordon, Jean Segura, Billy Hamilton and Manny Machado are all at least one year away.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: