Tuesday, March 8, 2011

WGC at Doral

Mike Weir shot 85 last week.  I don't meet to pile on, but 85?  I feel like he should join my twice weekly game with my dad and my buddy Huse, he can give me a few strokes and we'll play for a trophy.  It actually was pretty bad for others too out there in Palm Beach last week.  Ernie Els shot a 78 Saturday and finished the tournament at 16 over par.  So did Rory McIlroy.  It was carnage.  Still, 85?

And what to make of Els and McIlroy this week at Doral?  Els is the defending champ, and he just dominated the field last year to win by four.  McIlroy is top 10 in the world.  Still, I just can't pick a guy that just finished a tournament at 16 over par unless they played Oakmont.

The good news is that the options are plentiful this week as all top 50 players in the world have once again gathered at a WGC event.  Tiger has the best history here, with six wins and top tens in all ten tries.  I know two more things about Woods that may interest you as well.  I thought he actually looked very good in his one round at the match play, and you'd be broke by now if you'd wagered on him every time I said he was back.  Still, I'm going back to the well.

You have to like the other top players who are hot as well.  G Mac, Kaymer, Donald, Watney and Kuchar all are playing well enough to win.  Phil and Dustin Johnson are threats every week, and there are obviously many more that could win.

If you want some past history Kuchar and Kaymer finished tied for third last year.  Mickelson's record is shaky outside of a win in 2009, Furyk has been awful but has three top five in his last five at Doral, and Charl Schwartzel is hot and finished second in 2010.

Among those without stellar records here are McIlroy, Westwood, Johnson, Mahan and Kim.

Sleepers?  Is anyone talking about Steve Stricker anymore?  It seems he is due for a breakthrough.  Justin Rose has been solid in 2010, and my old favorite Aaron Baddeley has qualified too.  He looks to be back.

Most Talent
Woods
Mickelson
Kaymer
Westwood
McIlroy

Course History
Woods
Furyk
Els
Ogilvy
Watney

Who's Hot?
Donald
Kuchar
Sabbatini
Watney
McDowell

Who's Not?
Woods
Mickelson
Westwood
Furyk
Kim

My Picks
Woods
Kaymer
Watney
Stricker
Rose

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: