Monday, March 21, 2011

Ranking the outfielders

Had my first of two auctions over the weekend.  It's a dynasty auction (we converted from a keeper league), so you get to keep your guys forever.  Obviously, lots on the line, and considering the fact I have just one Final Four team left, it's a good thing I had something to do.

My team?  Weiters, Pujols, Beckham, Longoria, Brignac, Laporta and S. Rodriguez in the infield.  J. Upton, Snider, Brantley, Borbon, Willingham and JD Drew in an admittedly weak outfield.  The starters are Greinke, Verlander, Holland, W. Davis, E. Santana and Porcello and the relievers are Broxton, Putz and C. Zambrano.

I'm very reliant on youth, and could struggle in speed and saves, but having a youthful core anchored by Pujols long term seems okay to me.

Now, you need help in the outfield.  To me, outfield and starting pitching is where you'll find most of the sleepers in your fantasy draft.  Usually, you look toward the youth, and you can steal a few guys ready to break out.  I called McCutchen last year, and I swung and missed again on BJ Upton (much like he did himself all season long).

1. R. Braun -- I think he's the surest thing of the lot.  Bounceback in order.
2. C. Gonzalez -- No question he is for real, and a threat to take over number one overall in two years.
3. C. Crawford -- Tough to rank.  Monster should help, I bet steals go down in Boston.
4. J. Upton -- He's a great bet to break out.
5. J. Hamilton -- Better, but more injury prone, than Upton.
6. A. McCutchen -- I'd just rathyer have him than the next tier.  Still upside.
7. M. Holliday -- Real safe bet to help across the board.
8. M. Kemp -- I think he can bounceback but likely won;t pay to find out.
9.  S. Choo -- Like Holliday, safe stats.
10. N. Cruz -- Last of the real high upside guys.
11. B. Upton -- Which is why I put him here.  Could leap, likely won't.  Still want him.  Sigh.
12. H. Pence -- Quietly has 75 HR and 41 SB over last three seasons.  Huge drop off to him from top tier though.
13. J. Bruce -- I can't understand why people think Heyward is better...in 2011.
14. J. Ellsbury -- Really hard to rank pure speed, but I think there is a slight dropoff to...
15. A. Rios -- Great first half, awful second.  Better than the reverse.
16. I. Suzuki -- I guess, but no thanks.
17. J. Heyward
18. J. Werth -- Probably a bargain, but be wary of ballpark, contract and lineup change.
19. M. Stanton -- He could really disappoint, and I love youth.  Just really young.
20. C. Rasmus -- Not much of a leap to .280-30-20.
21. A. Ethier -- Never much of a fan.
22. S. Victorino -- Flyin' Hawaiian keeps producing.
23. C. Granderson -- Improvement against lefties have me optimistic again.
24. D. Young -- Finally.
25. C. Young -- Ditto.
26. N. Markakis -- Is there really a 20 HR cap?
27. Adam Jones -- Betting on the come.
28. C. Quentin -- He can get back to 30+ HR and he'll come cheaper than most that can.
29. C. Hart -- I picked him up last year,  Not paying for career two month stretch.
30. D. Stubbs -- Stats look good, prospect guys are baffled.  I trust prospect guys.
31. J. Pierre
32. M. Bourn
33. B. Gardner -- Put these three here or further down, but they go in that order.
34. A. Pagan -- Less speed, more pop, less of a guarantee,
35. T. Hunter -- Aging Angels veterans,
36. V. Wells -- will not be occupying,
37. B. Abreu -- a spot in my outfield.
38. T. Snider -- Nice sleeper power prospect.  I was a year early on him last year.
39. C. Lee -- Really looking old.
40. N. Swisher

There are really about 80 draftable OFs, and I'm not listing them all, but here are the guys that didn't make the list that I find intriguing at the right price.

Manny
Soriano
Kubel
Rayburn
Coghlan
Borbon
Tabata
Maybin
Crisp
Joyce
Morrison
Willingham
Brantley
Brown
Jennings
Gordon
L. Cain

As you can see, lots of potential cheap speed options, which is why I'd shy away from the expensive one cat types.  Lots of youthful upside too in guys like Jennings, Morrison and Dom Brown.

Keep in mind Zobrist, S. Rodriguez, Bautista, and Huff qualify, but I didn't rank them due to more value at their other positions (maybe not Huff, I guess).  Prospects other than Jennings and Brown include the two best in the game -- Bryce Harper and Mike Trout, though neither will make the bigs in 2011.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: