Saturday, March 27, 2010

MaRkeT MAdNeSs

All my rankings have been posted, you know which sleepers I like, and you know a few guys I'm staying away from.  Still, one thing you have to know about fantasy sports is that players values are CONSTANTLY in flux.  I know I overreact to every inning and at bat in fantasy, and you should too (it's just more fun that way).  This year, I will be writing a weekly Market Madness entry here where you can stay on top of the volatile player market.  Here's the spring training version, and the only way to gain or lose value right now is health or opportunity for increased/decreased PT.

Players on the rise...

Jose Reyes, SS, Mets
The fact that his thyroid issue was a two week deal and not an eight week deal is enough to get my hamstrings twitching.  Let's hope Jose doesn't feel the same way.  I think he's a third rounder at worst right now.  Remember, if he can stay healthy, and he has for FOUR of the last FIVE years, he is a top 10 player.  This isn't Eric Chavez here...

Jason Heyward, OF, Braves
Yes, he won the job, and he's a must own in keeper leagues if you can hold onto him for a few years.  Still, in redraft leagues, Heyward's national hype may set the bar a bit too high.  The guy is a manchild, but he's still just 20.  If he goes .280 with 20-25 bombs it's a huge year.

Chris Perez, RP, Indians
Wouldn't surprise me, or Lou Brown, if Kerry Wood never got that job back.  Wouldn't surprise me, or Roger Dorn, if Chris Perez falls flat on his face.  Hey, he at least has the opportunity...

Jason Frasor, RP, Blue Jays
Looks like he is going to start the season as the closer.

Players on the fall...

Brandon Webb, SP, Arizona
The reports on his shoulder are nothing short of brutal, and it's almost to the point where I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot scalpel.  In other words, whenever Webb gets picked it's too early at this point.

Joba Chamberlain, RP, Yankees
He lost the job to Hughes, and I think his turn in the rotation has forever passed him by.  Set up guys aren't really valuable in my leagues, I don't know about yours.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: