Thursday, March 18, 2010

No love for Zambrano?

Aren't we just a couple of years away from Big Z going for $20+ in auction formats and being one of the first 15 pitchers off the board?  Now, he's buried on every list, including my own.  Why?

One reason is the WHIP, which has always been his achillies heel.  It was a not so friendly 1.38 in 2009.  Yet, his ERA has actually decreased now for two straight years.  Really, it has?  Yep, checked in at a respectable 3.77 last year, which is a number I'd take on the back end of my squad.  Zambrano also still qualifies as a K guy, checking in at 8.9 K/9 in 2009.

You know, the more I think about it, I'd rather gamble on Zambrano than a lot of guys I ranked him below on my rankings.  He has shown signs of injury, but that comes with the territory when you are filling out the back half of your rotation.  As I have said before, if guys can't strike people out, they aren't even worth said gamble.

Anyway, looking at it today, I think I'd put Zambrano in the 37-46 range for SPs, a good 15-20 spots ahead of where I originally ranked him.  That's not high enough to get too excited, but, if everyone is off of him, and it seems to be everyone is, you may be able to steal him late and extract some value.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: