Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Five

On the eve of the greatest football weekend of the year, I thought I would dedicate the Five to my favorite football game of all time, the 1981 AFC divisional playoff game between the Chargers and Dolphins iin the Orange Bowl.

Check out this clip of a drive by the Chargers.  I noticed a bunch of things, like Kellen Winslow dunking on the goal post, but most of all I was struck by how much the 1981 Chargers played like a 2009 team.  They spread it out and threw it around, even using a version of a WR bubble screen.  I knew about Air Coryell, I loved the Chargers when I was young, but I had forgotten just how good that passing game was.

Speaking of Winslow, you can see the footage of him being carried off the field at the end of the game as he is suffering from cramps at the end of this clip.  I had almost forgotten he blocked the FG too.

That game was also famous for two more things.  The invention of the hook and ladder (or, hook and lateral), nice work Shula.  Also, Rolf Benirschke kicked the game winner in that one, which was his second greatest moment ever, right behind his entertaining turn as host of Wheel of Fortune for six months in 1989.  This is high comedy.

Finally, what is forgotten about this Chargers team was that the next week they had to travel to Cincinnati to play in the coldest game in NFL history.  Fifty-nine below zero wind chill with a Super Bowl on the line.  Incredible.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: