Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday Five

Last week, I wrote about the greatest Divisional playff game in my lifetime, this week, I'm focusing on the best Championship game of my lifetime (that I remember watching).  We go back to 1981 again (though the game was played in January '82), not for the wind chill game in Cincinnati, but for "The Catch" in San Francisco.

Oh, you wanted the real play, it's right here.

I'm stunned when I watch the play again.  Montana threw it with three huge guys in his face, and Clark made an underrated grab in the end zone, seemingly stabbing the ball out of the air.

There were a couple of underrated moments of this game as well.  First, the Cowboys still had 50 or so seconds and all they needed was a field goal, to win.  I wouldn't seem as confident with that scenario in today's NFL with Favre, Manning or Brees getting the ball last (I'll take my chances with the Sanchize).  They got to the 49ers 45 with 38 seconds left!  Alomst seems like a lock today, unless you have Suisham kicking it.  The last Cowboys drive can be seen at the end of this clip, starting at about 7:00.

The second underrated part of this game is that my neighbor had bet me five bucks before the playoffs that Cincinnati would win the Bowl.  He said I could pick one team.  I took the 49ers, and you wonder why I'm a fantasy addict...thanks Jerry.

The 49ers went on to beat....yep, Cincinnati (on a huge goal line stand) in the Super Bowl, and I got about 12 packs of football cards as a result.

Cheers,
TFAM

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Vin Scully and Hank Stram? Really?