Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Winning Fantasy Golf

I promise I'm not going to write about golf all the time now that fantasy football has, for the most part, ended.  I still have NBA, NHL, a lot of MLB and (my friend Swan pointed out) NFL Draft to keep me busy in the coming weeks and months.  Still, since the season starts tomorrow, I wanted to point out three simple rules to winning at fantasy golf.

History--What has each player done on the course for that week.  Some players clearly play better on different courses.  You want to pick guys with good results in their histroy at the course.  Geoff Ogilvy won at this week's SBS Championship last year, so he is certainly worthy of consideration again in 2010.

Confidence--How is the player currently playing?  I was going to pick Kenny Perry this week, then remembered that he can be a really streaky guy.  That doesn't mean I shouldn't pick him this week, but in my league, where we can only use each guy once, why not save him for when I know he's hot?

Talent--Obviously we can't forget about talent.  Tiger (we'll get to him within a week, I promise), Phil, Paddy, Ernie...they are all obviously uber-talented.  These guys require a look every week regardless of venue.

This week, BTW, my pick is Nick Watney.  Like I said, I was leaning Perry or Stephen Ames, but Watney finished fifth at Kapalua in 2008, and he drives it big, which is necessary on that course.  I think Stricker and O'Hair are great picks too, I just want to wait to use those two studs.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: