Friday, January 22, 2010

Super Bowl

The great thing about the NFL playoffs is the one and done scenario that exists.  We may not always get the best teams in the conference title games, but we'll get the ones who played the best last week.  That's how playoffs are supposed to work, no?

My original pick for the Super Bowl (at the beginning of the playoffs) was Saints-Chargers.  Now that Norv, Phil, Rex, Darelle and Shonn have turned that one to mush, let's try again.  Both of these games are coin flips to be honest.  I don't have a real strong feeling either way, so I'm going with my gut.  One thing my gut has been telling me all year is that the Colts are not a Super Bowl team.  One player/coach does not win the Lombardi trophy by himself, no matter if he is the greatest of all time.  I think the Jets strengths play toward the Colts weaknesses (rush offense, pressure defense, special teams), and I think they are in the game with five minutes to go.  Give me the Jets, if they can take out the Chargers, I'm sold.  20-16 Jets.

In the NFC, it's another toss up.  I'm a Viking fan and my gut tells me we have a great shot to win this game.  I like their prsuure up front, and I like AP's chances of being the difference in the game.  We should know right away if the Vikings can win.  If their defense can get off the field with less than 17 points allowed in the first half, that will be a victory, and a sign of good things to come. 31-30 Vikings.

The sheer stupidity of picking against the two home favorites in the title games likely leads me to 0-2, but I really like the underdogs, especially if you are getting points.  My gut tells me so.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: