Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Terrell the Terrible

I'm done apologizing for Terrell Owens, but before we go down that road, I want to explain why I WAS so certain he was a great buy low guy these last couple of weeks.

The main idea here is that there is something valuable about having a number one wideout on your fanatsy team.  I know, that's obvious, but I'm going beyond just the stats here.  A true number one WR almost forces coaches' hands.  We all know that the premadonna factor can be high with number one WRs.  Coaches know this, hence they know that failing to get that guy the ball will only create issues.  So, the point is, sure, talent is what makes number one's so effective, but it's the ego of these guys that makes coaches force the ball in their direction more often than not (see Marshall, Brandon, circa 2008).

So, when I draft, I give an edge to number one WRs even over number twos who many others have ranked higher on their cheat sheets.  This year, it caused me to rate guys like Antonio Bryant (fail) and Chad Ocho Cinco (success) higher than guys like Greg Jennings and Santonio HolmesJennings, for example, is viewed by his coaching staff and (equally as important) quarterback as a co-number one.  So, there's no need to force the ball to him, and Donald Driver is actually having the better season.

Which gets us back to TO.  I can't believe he's having a worse fall than Ted Williams' frozen head.  He's the grand poobah of whiny number one WRs and his team still has done little to satisfy his ego through five weeks.  This leads us to one of three possible scenarios. 

1.  TO is no longer any good. 
2.  Trent Edwards just isn't good enough to get him the ball.
3.  The Bills just don't care about Owens ego or touches and will not force him the ball.

I refuse to buy into number three.  After all, that would shoot a giant hole in my theory that has carried me for years.  However, I think both one and two are in play here, which has to trump number three.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a few scatered scores from here out from Owens, but I've stopped believing a rise in the rankings is in the offing.

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: