Thursday, October 29, 2009

Trade Analysis

So, a sketchy trade went down in one of my leagues yesterday and I thought, what better place to vent than right here?  The trade was Adrian Peterson, garbage player A and garbage player B for David Garrard, Kevin Smith and Ricky Williams.  You should know that this is a two QB league (of which I'm a big fan), so Garrard isn't totally worthless.  Now, in my mind, the guy getting AP, we'll call him Ben, gets the clear better end of this one.  Ricky is a reserve back most weeks, and Smith has really been a low end starter all year.  However, if the other team was decimated at QB and RB (which he kind of was), the idea of dealing off AP to at least field a decent squad has its merits.  Here is what I don't get...

WHY TRADE AP WITHOUT TRYING TO MARKET HIS AVAILABILITY?

I see this mistake made in fantasy league after fantasy league regardless of sport.  Teams sell their best players off without trying to get a better deal from the rest of the market.  I can almost guarantee you, if Mr. I'm going to sell fantasy's best player for 60 cents on the dollar would have told a few other people either:

A:  "I'm thinking about trading AP to reload, what offers may be out there for me?"

OR

B:  "I'm close to accepting a deal of a backup RB, the Lions running back and David freaking Garrard for Peterson.  Is there anyone who wants to top it?"

Both of those approaches would have certianly netted a better deal than the trade he made.  As a matter of fact, I don't HATE the trade that he made for his team, and I'm certainly not a fan of commissioner vetoes.  I just don't get it.  Let me say this loud and clear, people in your league want your best player.  You can just assume that.  If you think it is in your best interests to deal, make it known that you are looking for the best offer.  You can get probably 50% more on your return.  Of all the trading rules, that one falls near the top.

Now, who wants to trade me for Terrell Owens?

Cheers,
TFAM

No comments: